We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets – Marilyn Monroe.
When a staff member says double discount on pay day, who am I to refuse? However, when It came to actually purchasing something for myself it was as if someone way up there, or the universe itself, did not want me to buy this gift for myself – the length I went to actually get it included a trip back home and then to the city again after work, with a blog upload in between, whilst waiting for my pay to actually enter my bank account. So a full round trip later, I had treated myself to a brand new perfume, one of which you can only get in Selfridges and Harrods in the UK; lucky I’m moving to London a few months after returning from my travels! I haven’t treated myself to a new perfume in so long, mainly because I work in fragrance practically every day so I don’t feel the need to top up my perfume collection when I can spritz myself in work. Also, there’s this whole backpacking thing that kinda doesn’t allow me to get lovely, expensive things for myself due to weight of a backpack, and stretching the dollar a little too far.
Bottega Veneta is a brand that I’d never heard of before starting the fragrance biz Down Under, and boy was I missing out! The brand oozes of exclusivity and luxury. It is an Italian brand, and produces fragrances that transport you to Europe and want to make you stay there forever. The Venetian countryside is what is alluded to in the Signature fragrance with allusions of fresh meadows, mown hay alongside flowers, earth and wood. The signature leather of the fashion house is apparent in this floral chypre fragrance alongside plum, bermagot and cedarwood. It is an eclectic mix of notes which – with my strange nose – reminds me of those tangy sweets that I used to eat when I was younger. It is a beautiful fragrance and it instantly made me feel like I could be a David Jones customer and not just a workie!
So why should we treat ourselves during Christmas time? Are we turning overindulgent to our own desires and need for little pieces of luxury. Er. No. Throughout the year, we are constantly thinking of gifts for others, racking our brains for present ideas and trying to remember which shade of lipstick or which game our girlfriends and boyfriends have hinted at, not to mention what to buy for those Secret Santas in work that you just don’t know where to start.
We’re so wrapped up about everyone else that we forget to look out for ourselves too – so treat yourself this Christmas. And here are some more reasons why to treat yourself if you didn’t have enough already…
1. You know what you want so you’ll be perfectly happy with the present: no false smiles of appreciation.
2. Splurging on items that you wouldn’t normally makes you feel a little bit naughty and it’s more exciting, especially at this time of year.
3. With fragrance, you are the number person to buy it when it comes to yourself, especially with a new one. Once it’s open, you can’t take it back.
4. Christmas is about much more than giving and receiving presents I know; but giving yourself an extra boost in the form of something luxurious just makes it a little extra special for you.
5. You only live once. I know I just pulled the YOLO card but it really is true. If you really love the shoes and will wear them to death: buy them. If you are dying to stun everyone in that sparkly dress at New Year, do it. Even if you’re travelling and think that buying a large bottle of perfume complete with body lotion is a little bit silly but you really want to, just do it.
So, treat yourself this Christmas.
Love, Faye x