I believe that all women are pretty without makeup – and can be pretty powerful with the right makeup – Bobbi Brown.
Way back in March, I was kindly invited to attend the Celebrity MUA Masterclass in partnership with Debenhams Beauty. It was held in the most stunning venue Liverpool has to offer: St George’s Hall, which explicitly enhanced its appeal and grandeur. It also brought back memories of attending the British Style Collective. It seems that St. George’s Hall is the place to be when the fashion and beauty elite come to town. The day was full of tips and tricks, makeup secrets and fresh and exciting makeup looks that could easily be tried at home, using drugstore makeup as well as luxury items. The buzz in the air was thick and beauty was all around us.
The Masterclass had two very special guests: Gary Cockerill and Alexis Stone.
Gary Cockerill is makeup artist to the stars, with over twenty-five years experience in the biz. He is best mates with Katie Price, doing a lot of her signature looks over the years as well working at the Oscars and BAFTAS. There is nothing he cannot do which is evident with his ease of brush strokes and precision whilst transforming a natural beauty into a stunner with an evening look to envy everyone in the room.
Alexis Stone is a one off. I don’t lie when I say that I knew absolutely nothing about him, but boy is he fabulous. A British drag queen with the sass of any RuPaul contestant but the British glamour is etched in too. His signature is to create lookalikes and he is incredible. You need to see his Instagram if you haven’t done already. I have been an avid follower ever since, and continually adore each and every transformation. His online presence is fascinating, as is his down to earth quality. He cracked jokes with the audience at every turn; let slip some future announcements, and waved any right to ownership of makeup and beauty. He is the epitome of what it is to be a makeup artist today, and he is breaking all of the rules.
TEN TIPS OF MAKEUP
1. Don’t forget the ears!
2. Do whatever you want. There are no rules with makeup. Have fun with it and do what’s right for you.
3. Women have slightly larger foreheads than men. It’s a sign of beauty. If you have a big forehead, you are a QUEEN.
4. Delusion is the secret. Fake it ’til you make it.
5. Cotton buds are life.
6. Beauty is everything merging together and looking beautiful. You don’t want just one thing to stand out which [would] lose the effect of the entire look.
7. You don’t have to pay more than you have to in order to achieve a decent look.
8. Merging powder and cream eyeshadow together creates more luxury.
9. Digital and cosmetic elements come hand in hand (especially to create a good selfie!).
10. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment.
The entire day with Celebrity MUA Masterclass, in association with Debenhams Beauty, was a dream for any beauty lover. A room full of likeminded men and women being taught something new as well as watching professionals do what they do best was truly inspiring. Provided by the team was a beauty hamper full of goodies from Doll Beauty, Unicorn Cosmetics and more! Not only that, but lunch was a magical array of doughnuts, cakes and other picky bits.
Celebrity MUA Masterclass is unfortunately over for the year but I’m betting it will be bigger and better next year (although I don’t know how they’ll top it)!
What beauty tips have you learnt from the professionals in the past?
Love, Faye xo