Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears – John Lennon.
With everything that is going on in the world right now – the worries about health, politics and, basically, the entire world – I thought it would be a nice break for myself (and hopefully for you) to share some of the things that have been making me feel happy recently. I wrote one of these posts back in October, but also way back when in 2017 when I had just returned from travelling. I won’t bore you with the woe-is-me details, but it has taken some doing to get to a happy place that is constant. I feel like, right now, I am appreciating this particular stage of my life a lot more whilst planning and preparing for the next. I am in a humble balance between the two and finding that balance has been a tad difficult. Nevertheless, I am here, and I want to share the moments lately that have made me grin, laugh and feel genuine elation.
- Appreciating where I live. I live on the doorstep of the most beautiful place in England. The Cotswolds is somewhere that people dream of and yet here I am watching the world go by whilst I go to work and type away at my keyboard. There are so many incredible venues, cafes, bars (although very difficult when you have to drive everywhere in order to get anywhere), castles, monuments and more! Something just clicked in my head last week and I thought to myself you need to appreciate where you are right now. So I am.
- Freddie. Of course my four-legged best friend is high on the list. Even when he bites my boob, shreds my clothes and has the smelliest farts known to man, I love him to pieces. I always miss him when I’m not at home up north and he is constantly changing, but his cheekiness will remain exactly the same.
- Work. There is a constant flow of work which I am very grateful for, just as I am super happy to be in an office with colleagues who can laugh and joke at anything and everything, not the mention the motivation for life goals. Plus, there is a very nice café with lovely people who make the best homemade soups ever.
- Having a long-term goal and knowing we can achieve it. We want to buy a house. Eventually. We have a goal in mind of the budget, the location and when we want it to happen. It’s between four and five years. At first, I was not happy about this (and I’m still definitely going to push my savings a little harder to make it happen sooner if possible), but right now, I feel content. Just knowing that Warren and I are on the same page about our future lifts a huge weight and makes me excited to continue the saving process.
- Being more body confident. I am by no means perfect, but I have lost some of the weight that I put on last summer and it has made the world of a difference to how I see myself. I’ve also been doing more Pamela Reif workout videos (highly recommend for quick ways to get your sweat on) which has made me feel stronger and healthier too.
- Having things to look forward to. I have so many events and holidays this year that I can’t wait for already. I’ll be home for Easter and for an entire 5 days over my birthday which is more than double the amount of time I’m able to squeeze in every now and then. I have two hen parties to look forward to, my best friend’s wedding, my dad’s birthday present off me and personal projects that I want to get out this year. I still believe that 2020 is amazing for me, personally, and I want to make the most of every moment.
So there you have it. I hope you don’t mind my indulgent post about what is making me happy right now. I believe that we should all take a step back, breathe and focus on the things that enrich our lives with joy. That being said, I know how difficult it can be to feel unmotivated and anxious about life. I hope my moments of happiness continue, and I have to say that the sunshine and blue skies every morning and evening really do help lift my mood.
What’s making you happy lately?
Love, Faye xo